Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Question Regarding Slice Interface "Best practices"

Here is my current Slice Interface:
module MMOInteractive
{
	struct PlayerData
	{
		short networkID;
		string title;
		float posX; 
		float posY;
	};

interface Peer
	{
		void onDisconnected();
		void onConnectionLost();
		void onEnterWorld(PlayerData mainPlayer, string welcomeMsg);
		void onPlayerEnter(PlayerData newPlayer);
		void onPlayerExit(short playerNetID);
		void onPlayerWalkTo(short playerNetID, float x, float y, float duration);
		void onPlayerSay(short playerNetID, string message);
		PlayerData getData();
		void loadWaterObject(string meshName, string name, string matName, int x, int y, int z, int scale);
		void loadStaticObject(string meshName, string name, string matName, int x, int y, int z, int scale);
	};

interface ServerI
	{
		bool Authenticate(string username, string password);
		void handleClientEnterWorld(string charName, Peer* user);
		void handleClientWalk(short netID, int X, int Y);
		void handleClientSay(short netID, string Message);
	};
};

Now I am creating a Quest Manager should I add a acceptQuest method to my ServerI interface and then in the method have questMgr->acceptQuest() or should I make a new Interface for the Quest Manager so I can call acceptQuest() directly from the client?

My main problem is that I have been told that you should limit the number of connections between the client and the server so I guess what I should really be asking is if it creates a new connection for every interface you have access to from the client.

Comments

• dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    My main problem is that I have been told that you should limit the number of connections between the client and the server so I guess what I should really be asking is if it creates a new connection for every interface you have access to from the client.

No, Ice does not automatically create a new connection for every interface that you use from your client. You should take a look at the Connection Management chapter of the manual for more detailed information on connections. Let us know if you need more clarification.