Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceBox -- adding service during runtime

Hello,

I'm wondering whether there is a simple way to add an IceBox service to a running IceBox server? I can't see anything like that in the IceBox::ServiceManager interface.

As an alternative I thought about using IceGrid and deploying multiple instances of a service on a particular node but that would require a separate JVM for each service, I guess (I'm using Java as a primary languague). For my small, simple services that's a little waste of resources.

Can you recommend something?
How difficult would be to extend ServiceManager interface with addService/removeService operations?

Cheers,
Jacek

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Yes, this isn't supported by IceBox. Currently, services can only be configured through Ice configuration properties. It's possible to start/stop services at runtime however. It shouldn't be very complicated to support adding/removing services at runtime in Java. This is something we could consider adding if you have a commercial need for such a feature (to discuss this, contact us at info@zeroc.com). Otherwise, since we provide the source, this is also something you could look into adding.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Thanks Benoit,

Ok, I see. I'll look into sources and will try to implement it myself.

Cheers,
    Jacek