Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Installation of Ice 3.6 on Ubuntu 16.04.3 32 bit

Hi,

I'm facing a problem with installation of ICE 3.6 on a Ubuntu 16.04.3 32 bit VM.

After adding

sudo apt-add-repository "deb http://zeroc.com/download/Ice/3.6/ubuntu16.04 stable main"
sudo apt-get update

I exec

sudo apt-get install zeroc-ice-all-runtime zeroc-ice-all-dev

and get an error message, that packages cannot be installed.

e.g. zeroc-ice-all-runtime is dependent on libzeroc-ice3.6 (= 3.6.3-1000), but is not installable.

Any Idea why this problem occurs?

Thanks,

BR Klaus

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    edited September 2017

Hi Klaus,

Seems you have Ubuntu Ice packages that are not compatible with our packages, probably Ice 3.5 from Ubuntu repositories.

Can you paste the complete error message and the output of

dpkg-query -l | grep ice

Note that we only provide amd64 packages for Ubuntu 16.04, there are not i686 (32bit) packages

• Hi Jose,

thanks for you message.

Ok, I've seen under supported platforms, that 32 bit packages are only available for Ubuntu 14, so I'm currently setting up a new VM.

The point is, I would like to use ICE-PHP, and this requires 32bit XAMPP-stack as far as i experienced, which is only available for 32 bit linux systems. Am I right, that PHP is only supported for 32 bit webservers?

Thanks,

BR Klaus

• output of dpkg-query command is in the attachment

so2.txt 13.5K
  • Installation works under ubuntu 14.04

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain

Yes we drop i386 packages with 16.04 , we still provide them for 14.04

• But when i install despite the fact that i have amd64 version isntalled it says that it doesn't support i386 version why ?

I am using latest version of installation instruction as given in manual

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi,

According to the dpkg-query output, you have i386 packages installed which would indicate that you are not using a 64bits Ubuntu 16.04 installation.

Can you provide us with the output of the following command to check the architecture of your Ubuntu 16.04 distribution: dpkg --print-architecture.

Cheers,
    Benoit.